If you want a jumpstart on 2021 Delta Medallion status, check this out!
While poking around today, I discovered the LAX to JNB run some are taking next month is available several weekends in January, February, and March 2020!
So if you’re not on next month’s run — or just can’t get enough Jo’burg — start looking at these Virgin Atlantic runs next year!
These are Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy runs. So not business class (which are significantly costlier) but also not in steerage.
One Night Stays and “Turnarounds” Available!
Many people want to make mileage runs as short as possible. Buy I received complaints about the JNB runs we published because there wasn’t enough time to explore Johannesburg. Flights arrived early morning and departed later that night.
Most of the weekends I found with good fares allow you to depart LAX on Thursday, arrive in JNB on Saturday, and leave Sunday night. So you have a day and a night to enjoy Johannesburg.
There are also quicker “turnarounds” available, with the standard 9-12 hours to see whatever you can of the city or engage in some airport appreciation.
In any case, here are what the trips entail:
- Cost: ∼$1860
- Dates: See calendar below
- Route: LAX-LHR-JNB
- Route: JNB-LHR-LAX
- Class: Virgin Atlantic K
- Miles Flown (estimated via Unofficial SkyMiles Calculator): 22,090
- MQD (est): $6627 (as Virgin Atlantic’s Premium Economy earns 30% of mileage flown)
- MQM: (est): 33,135 MQM (5.6 CPM)
- SkyMiles (est): 33,135 base (plus medallion bonus: Diamond + 120%; Platinum + 80%; Gold + 60%; Silver + 40%)
One Night Stay in Johannesburg
“Turnaround”/Day Visit in Johannesburg
Paying for the Trip
Remember to use a credit card awarding you bonus points for your airfare purchases!
- Don’t miss a single run. Subscribe HERE: www.RenesPoints.com/RunMail
- Need to learn how to find a run? See THIS Rookie post for how-to guide!
- Boost your Delta MQMs with the Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card (<– LINK) or Delta Reserve for Business Credit Card (<– LINK)
- Want a custom built run from your home airport? You can find one here.
- Relax in an airport lounge during your mileage run with one of these cards!
Cover image photo: ©iStock.com/Johann Swanepoel
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.