IHG is running a contest — and the winner receives 15 million Rewards Club points. But the terms and conditions seemingly reveal IHG’s valuation of its own points.
The “Department of Epic” promotion and “will give one lucky US-based traveler the chance to win back a year of missed adventures with 365 days worth of epic hotel experiences at various IHG locations, including InterContinental, Kimpton and Holiday Inn Express.”
(I know some readers are saying, “Yeah, but what’s first prize? One night at an IHG property?”)
It’s kind of a fun prize package, to be honest. Per the press release, the ” once-in-a-lifetime opportunity comes with exclusive perks” including:
- “Ultimate Snack Setup: The winner will receive a complimentary basket full of their favorite snacks every time they check into a new hotel. Gummy bears in bed? The Department will deliver them right to your room.
- 12 Months of Meals: Over the course of the year, the winner will be able to dine at one of IHG’s award-winning restaurants, once a month.
- Gift of Perfect Sleep: To avoid the dreaded transition of returning to their bed after a year of dreamy slumbers, the winner will be able to swap out their home mattress with a deluxe option that they’ve come to love during their stay.
- Private Car: To get around, IHG will give the winner access to a private car at select hotels to take them wherever they want to go around the city.
- Robe Collection: The winner will enjoy the coziest, over-the-top collection of iconic Kimpton robes that have long been recognized for their memorable designs ranging from leopard to seersucker to tie dye and will serve as the perfect souvenir from the year.
- Immediate IHG Rewards Status: The winner will become a Spire Elite rewards member, the program’s highest level of membership.
- Personal Booking Concierge: All hotel reservations will be made through a personal booking concierge to help the winner select the perfect destination and hotel for each day of the year.”
Not bad, right?
You can enter on Twitter and Instagram by “(telling) IHG why (you) need an epic vacation – without telling IHG (your) need an epic vacation.” You must use #IHGTellMeContest and tag @ihghotels in order to be eligible. And your Twitter and Instagram accounts must not be set to “Private.” Submissions are open through July 20. The winner will be announced on August 2.
So How Much Does IHG Value 15 Million Points?
The contest’s terms and conditions state:
The Grand Prize is one (1) year of stays in an IHG Group hotel awarded as 15,000,000 IHG points (“GrandPrize”)… The ARV of the Grand Prize is $60,000.
So if we do our math, that pegs each point as worth 4/10 of a penny each. That’s, like, Delta-partner-business-class-award-redemption bad.
Despite IHG seemingly valuing its own points at not even half a cent each, you can still have a lot of fun with 15 million points. Are you entering the contest?
Pictured above: Outside the Intercontinental Venetian Las Vegas Resort
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.