The American Express® Green Card offers 3X points on a number of categories travelers use all the time. Plus, the card offers CLEAR Plus and Lounge Buddy statement credit opportunities.
Current Welcome Offer: Earn 40,000 bonus Membership Rewards® points after you spend $3,000 on purchases on the card within six (6) months of being approved for card membership. Terms apply.
Card Type: American Express
What Kind of Points/Miles the Card Earns: American Express® Membership Rewards®
Annual Fee: $150 (See Rates and Fees.)
Additional Cardholders: $0 each. (See Rates and Fees.)
Foreign Transaction Fees: $0 (See Rates and Fees.)
APR: See Rates and Fees.
- 3X Membership Rewards® points on each eligible dollar spent on travel
- This includes airfare, hotels, cruises, tours, car rentals, campgrounds, travel purchases on third party travel websites, and travel purchases on amextravel.com.
- 3X on transit
- This includes trains, taxicabs, rideshare services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, and subways.
- 3X at restaurants worldwide
- 1X points on each eligible dollar after the $50,000 annual threshold is met.
- CLEAR Plus Statement Credit: Earn up to $189 in statement credit for CLEAR Plus membership costs charged to your card. (Excludes taxes and fees. Terms apply.)
- Lounge Buddy Statement Credit: You can earn up to $100 each year in statement credit for airport lounge access to Lounge Buddy clubs. (Terms apply.)
Where Can You Apply?: This is a referral link (thank you!) to America Express. We don’t see any information (name, address, SSN, income, pet’s name, your father’s maiden name, etc.) you submit. Thank you for helping support the blog!
What We Like About It
General travel, transit, and restaurant earnings are fairly lackluster on most Amex Membership Rewards cards. That’s where the American Express® Green Card comes to the rescue. (Although the American Express® Gold Card is rather compelling when it comes to airline and dining spending). We like that the 3X travel and transit encompasses so much. Plus, dining — even on the revered Platinum Card — earns only 1X. The American Express® Green Card is a great complement to the benefits-heavy Platinum cards.
The CLEAR Plus statement credit is certainly a nice feature, too. However, CLEAR lines are becoming hit-or-miss at some airports. That said, CLEAR can definitely save you some time in the right situations. The $189 CLEAR Plus credit more than makes up for the card’s $150 annual fee. (See Rates and Fees.)
Things to Consider
If you plan to use airport lounges more than once or twice a year, you’re much better off getting something such as The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, the Capital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card (read our profile about the card), or Chase Sapphire Reserve®. They’re higher-end but entitle you to unlimited visits (terms apply) to all sorts of lounges worldwide.
The $150 annual fee isn’t anything to celebrate. (See Rates and Fees.) But the welcome promotion covers several years of that. Plus, the CLEAR Plus membership opportunity covers it every year, too.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, please visit this link.
For rates and fees of The Platinum Card® from American Express, please visit this link.
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.