First, let’s look at the Delta Medallion Choice Benefits options that were presented to me. You will see why the choice I made for 2023 Platinum and Diamond as well as Platinum for 2024 – and yes, you get both when you make Diamond, and yes, you can already choose 2024 if you have already earned 2024 status.
- Had I made 2024 Diamond, the American Express Statement Credit $500 is clearly appealing vs. 25,000 SkyPennies because, well simple math, that is twice the value of a SkyPenny right? But my last 2023 choice did not allow this “new” perk for 2024.
- Starbucks stars? – Pointless
- Sky Club Membership? – Has been pointless for years now
- MQMs? A SkyTeam partner mileage run is WAAAAY better for earning MQMs.
- Delta Vacations Credit? Why when they can just give you $500 toward Amex!
- Sustainable Aviation Fuel Contribution? – Buahahhahhah!
- Delta Travel Voucher? – Why, when SkyPennies are worth the same and don’t expire like vouchers?
So above is the breakdown of my choices. As I have talked about for years, I have always, with hard work, burned all of my Regional Upgrade Certificates (or RUCs) at a great value. My most recent was paying only 11,000 SkyPennies and flying Delta first class to Alaska for my amazing 7-day NCL cruise.
Global Upgrade Certificates (or GUCs) was in the works but then I used SkyPennies to book on Delta partner Air France in business class for under 100,000 points, so I used GUC for some very long domestic flights as I will not have time to burn them internationally before they expire.
Gold Medallion status. I have a very dear friend I was able to gift status to for a full year. There is real value and joy in helping a friend out.
So, lastly, we have what I redeemed the other day for my likely last-ever Diamond Medallion Choice Benefit selection. I chose the “best” of the remaining options open to me: another 25,000 SkyPennies because after all my bookings my balance was as near zero as it has been for over a decade flying Delta. Thanks, Delta, for my last $250 in value back for all my years of loyalty.
Also, as mentioned at the top of this post, I have already burned all my GUC and RUCs including my 2024 ones for flights I have booked over the next 12 months. For my 2025 choice that I will have access to as of 1 FEB 2024 (after slamming my Delta Amex with 25k spend in January 2024 plus rollover MQMs) I will again choose RUCs as I will have all of 2024 and 2025 to fly them and that will not be a hard task to accomplish.
Have you selected all your Delta Choice Benefits yet? Have you used them? Let me know! – René
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.