This is something we discuss once or twice a year. Given that we’re officially in the summer travel season, I figured this is a good time to remind us all of Delta’s Bags-on-Time Guarantee.
2,500 SkyMiles for Delayed Luggage
Delta implemented its “Bags on Time” feature several years ago.
If you check a bag on a Delta flight and your luggage arrives on the carousel belt 20 minutes (or more) after the plane’s door opens, you’re entitled to 2,500 bonus SkyMiles.
I can already hear guffaws from people saying, “That’s hardly anything!” Well, true. But it’s something. And because Delta seems to value SkyMiles at about a penny each, 2,500 SkyMiles are worth approximately $25 in Delta travel. (Remember, too, that Delta SkyMiles award travel earns MQM, MQD, and MQS!)
My family flew Delta roundtrips twice during the past three weeks. Twice our bags were delayed by more than 20 minutes.
I went to this page both times and submitted the required information.
My claims were confirmed. 2,500 bonus SkyMiles were added to my account within a couple of minutes!
It’s something easy you can do on the car-shuttle-train-bus ride to your home, hotel, or parking lot.
A Few Things to Keep in Mind
Remember these criteria for Delta Bags on Time claims:
- You must be a Delta SkyMiles member during your trip. (If you’re not yet a Delta SkyMiles member, sign up here for free. Plus, that’ll give you access to free WiFi on select Delta flights.)
- Eligible flights must be marketed and operated by Delta Air Lines and Delta Connection carriers.
- Codeshare flights are eligible — but the final leg must be marketed and operated by Delta Air Lines or a Delta Connection carrier.
- Valid only on flights within the U.S. 50 domestic states and Puerto Rico
- Submit your claim on this page.
- Feel free to bookmark this post, so you always know where to go when wanting to submit a Bags on Time claim 🙂
- You have up to three days after your flight to submit a claim. So, if you’re reading this post on Monday and flew on Saturday, you still have time! But I try to get my claims in ASAP after arriving.
- You’ll receive 2,500 miles regardless of how many bags your check. For example, we once flew with three checked bags — all of which were under my PNR. (My wife and daughter flew on a separate reservation.) I received a total of 2,500 bonus miles.
- You may take advantage of Bags on Time during both your outbound and return flights. So there’s the potential of earning up to 5,000 bonus SkyMiles. If you frequently travel and check bags, there’s a decent chance you’ll rack up some decent bonus miles through Bags on Time.
Remember that Delta still has its Bags on Time promotion! It’s a potentially easy way to score 2,500 bonus SkyMiles if your luggage is delayed by 20 or more minutes!
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.