Southwest Airlines is running a promotion that may help some people save money on winter trips: Companion Passes for Rapid Rewards members who qualify by taking just two flights!
Southwest Companion Pass Promotion
The current Southwest Companion Pass promotion goes like this:
- Register for the offer.
- Purchase a round trip or two one-way flights before 11:59 PM on Thursday, September 8, 2022. (Award travel does not count. Qualifying trips must be revenue flights.)
- Travel that roundtrip or those two one-ways by November 17, 2022. You’ll then earn your promotional Companion Pass!
- A companion flies for free (excluding applicable taxes and fees) when flying Southwest with you between January 4 and March 4, 2023.
Granted, your “teaser” Companion Pass is good for only two months. But for people who live in cold weather areas, this promotion can give you and someone else an excellent opportunity to get the heck out of dodge — and travel someplace warm. Or if you’re a big sports fan, this may give you the chance to save money traveling to your team’s away games!
Keep in mind the promotional period covers several holiday periods such as:
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Valentine’s Day
- Presidents’ Day
A handful of colleges also take spring break during the eligible dates.
This really could be great for families (or groups) of four or more people. For example, two people can register for the promotion — and book separate reservations. Take the trip (it can even be a quick, same-day roundtrip) and start making your winter travel plans with two others who will fly for almost free on your paid ticket.
Remember that award travel generally counts as the paid portion of a Companion Pass-eligible trip! So, you can use Rapid Rewards points to pay for your ticket — and then you and your companion are on the hook for taxes and fees (which will probably be about $5.60 each way for each person).
If you need a quick cache of Southwest Rapid Rewards points, check out their suite of Chase co-branded credit cards:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Premier Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority Credit Card
- Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card
Remember, too, that Southwest is a Chase Ultimate Rewards® travel partner. So, you can transfer those points to your Rapid Rewards account. Examples of Ultimate Rewards-earning cards are:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Chase Sapphire Reserve®
- Chase Freedom Flex℠
- Chase Freedom Unlimited®
- Ink Business Cash® Credit Card
- Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
- Ink Business Unlimited® Credit Card
Don’t forget to register and book a trip soon!
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.