The First Checked Bag Free is signature benefit included with most Delta American Express cards. But how much is the perk worth? How many people get free bags? Can the benefit really offset a card’s annual fee?
Let’s tackle those questions and more!
What is the First Checked Bag Free Benefit?
The First Checked Bag Free is Delta Amex perk waiving the bag fee for the first piece of checked luggage — provided it weighs under 50 pounds or less and is not oversized.
The benefit is valid only on Delta or a Delta Connection carrier when you check-in with Delta for both a Delta marketed and Delta operated trip.
Codeshare flights are not eligible the benefit.
How Many People Can Get the Free First Checked Bag?
The cardholder and up to eight others traveling on the same reservation/PNR as the cardholder may receive their first bag checked free.
So How Much Money Can That Save?
Delta charges $30 for a passenger’s first checked bag. So if you travel with eight more people, you save $270 in baggage fees each way. Roundtrip, your savings is $540.
As another example, a family of four with one checked bag per person would save $240 per roundtrip.
If you travel with a family, sports team, organization, party, etc., the benefit can save a lot of money. Even the Delta Reserve Card or Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card earn back their annual fees during just a few trips.
Which Delta Amexes Have the First Checked Bag Free Benefit?
All Delta Amexes except the Delta Blue card give the cardholder the First Checked Bag Free.
If you travel with family, consider getting the Platinum Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express or Delta Reserve Card, which not only include the First Checked Bag Free benefit, but also have the companion certificate perk.
How Can I Make Sure My Checked Bag Will Be Free?
Add your Delta Amex credit card number to your virtual wallet on Delta.com or the Fly Delta app. Then make sure all your Delta reservations have your SkyMiles number attached. Everything should work fine.
Can Authorized/Additional Cardholders on My Account Receive the Benefit If I’m Not Traveling?
No. Only the primary cardholder receives the benefit.
What If I Didn’t Use My Delta Amex Card to Pay for My Flight? Will I Still Get the First Checked Bag Free?
Yep, you’re fine — as long as your Delta Amex card number is in your Delta wallet and SkyMiles number is linked to your reservation.
In fact, you’re probably better of using one of these cards:
- Platinum Card® from American Express (5X on purchases made directly with airlines),
- American Express® Gold Card (4X on airfare purchased directly from airlines)
- American Express Business Gold Card (up to 4X on airfare purchased directly from airlines)
- Chase Sapphire Reserve (3X on travel purchases)
- American Express® Green Card (3X on travel purchases)
Ask away in the Comments section below!
Other Delta Amex Topics We’ve Covered
- My Thoughts on the New Delta American Express Benefits, Fees, and More!
- 10 Things to Know About Bonus MQM on the Updated Delta Amex Cards
- What You Need to Know About the Delta Amex MQD Waiver
- Delta Main Cabin 1 Boarding: How Valuable is This Delta Amex Perk?
- Sky Club Access for Delta American Express Cards: Which Cards are Now Eligible?
- Saving Money with the Delta Amex Free First Checked Bag Benefit
- “No Status” Upgrades for Delta Reserve Cardholders?
- Is Centurion Lounge Access with a Delta Reserve Card Really That Great?
- Saving 20% on Delta Purchases Made Onboard During Flights with Delta American Express Cards
- A Mileage Run Without Getting On a Plane? Yes!
- Scoring More First Class Upgrades: How Delta American Express Cards Can Help
Responses are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.